Patching a few bare spots? Starting a new lawn? It can be done easily and economically with grass seed
Planting a new lawn.
You may be starting completely fresh or you maybe you've ripped out an old lawn and want to start a new one. We suggest using our Super Grow Mixture (suitable for all lawns), or Deluxe Sun & Shade Mixture (for sun to moderately shady lawns), or Turf Genius Water Saver Mixture ( for low maintenance areas, it has excellent drought tolerance). Follow these steps and you'll soon be running barefoot through the grass;
- loosen your soil 2-3in deep
- using a rake, remove any debris including rocks
- add good quality soil to the area being planted TIP; loosened soil will help your grass seed stay moist
- use a spreader to disperse seed evenly
- gently rake the seed into the soil to ensure seed to soil contact TIP; avoid burying the seed too deep. A depth of 2mm is ideal
- water your new seedlings until they are fully established
- remember that a little water is better than none at all
- best time to water your lawn is early in the morning TIP; do not let the seed dry out and do not create puddles when watering. Both will prevent the seed from germinating
- cut your beautiful lawn!
Overseeding with grass seed on your existing lawn is done to rejuvenate your lawn and repair bare spots. Overseeding annually will keep your lawn healthy and help prevent weeds. The best time to overseed your lawn is early spring and late summer. May we recommend our Deluxe Overseed Mixture.
Follow these easy steps;
- aerate your lawn if the soil is compacted
- use a rake to remove all dead grass, rocks and debris
- rake in a think layer (1/2 inch) of light composted soil over areas that you are overseeding
- spread your seed by using a spreader to ensure proper coverage. Ensure seed to soil comtact
- fertilize and water. Do not allow the seeded area to dry out for at least 3-4 weeks while seed is germinating
- cut your beautiful lawn!
You're probably wondering how many pounds of seed you'll need to seed your lawn...we've taken the guess work out of it for you!
Super Grow Mixture - 5 lbs per 1,000 sq feet
Deluxe Sun & Shade Mixture - 5 lbs per 1,000 sq feet
Turf Genius Water Saver Mixture - 8 lbs per 1,000 sq feet
Deluxe Overseed Mixture - 4 lbs per 1,000 sq feet
Fast fact; A lawn are of just 50 sq feet releases enough oxygen to meet the needs of a family of four.
Search our Garden Guide for more information, tips and ideas:Type in a few descriptors (e.g., 'spring bulbs') here to find information and advice on caring for your Niagara garden.
Country Basket Garden Centre... one-stop shopping for Niagara gardeners.
Whatever you need, whether it's seeds, plants or information, our team of gardening experts is here for you!